I have a passion for singing but a perfectionist personality type, which has held me back from being the singer I have always wanted to be. I feel that anyone can sing but that people fall into 2 categories: 1) Those who just “get it” and 2) Those who have talent but can’t quite get the techniques their teachers are giving them to work (The Frustrated Singer). I am the Frustrated Singer. After years of different teachers and experimenting on my own I am finally seeing things a bit more clearly but still have many blocks and frustrations with the art form. I want to cover techniques, inspiration, and the performance aspects of singing and hope this blog will help other singers break through their blocks and help them become the singers they have always wanted to be.


This is a work in progress and meant to evolve over time. I hope you use the information that will be presented here and keep in mind that what works for some won't work for others but the most important thing is to just keep at it.

Thursday, November 3, 2011

Thursdays are AMAZING...

Pretty much every Thursday for the past 3 years I have meet up with Gail, a very very good friend, and sang. We started out meeting for just a couple of hours and as time went on it evolved and we average about 5 hours of work. We have the greatest time because we trade off one singing 2 songs and then the next. Working this way allows us to actually sing through full songs, we can try things we never would have tried in private lessons because you normally only have an hour, and most of all it is fun.

It is less stressful than paying someone for lessons and trying to make sure I get my money's worth. I am not down playing actual voice lessons but when you have enough technique I am now a believer that getting together with at least one other person on a regular basis and just singing back and forth is very beneficial.

When you work with someone the other person and feel the energy you are releasing, or if you aren't. Live performance requires the performer to allow their energies to flow so that the audience can feel something. You can't be introverted as you can in film as you will loose not only the people at the back of the room but the ones in the front row because if you are in your head you aren't allowing the audience to experience what is going on.

No comments:

Post a Comment